DIANTHUS

Dianthus is our Canadian Sailcraft 36 sailboat (Merlin version) we purchased in December 2011.



Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Race #3    My first single handed race! 

The Harbor Cup starts down by the Baltimore Light at the mouth of the Magothy and finishes by Fells Point, just past Ft. McHenry.  I didn't have any crew and was planning on going sailing anyway, so I signed up for the Non Spinnaker division.  Trimming sails while steering does NOT make for a fast boat.  While it was a little bit like being a one-armed paper hanger, the worst part was once I turned up the Patapsco and was off the wind, I could have used a larger headsail.  Beating up the Bay I had the 110 up, but really could have used the #2 or even the #1 in the river.  I could have changed the sail but that would have necessitated using the autopilot and since this wasn't an official singlehanded  race I wasn't sure it would be legal.  So I slogged on using what I had.  While there were just two of us in the NS class and I finished second, (IE last!) I was encouraged by the fact that I corrected out just 2min, 21 sec behind the other boat.  They were fully crewed!  Had I had even one other person I think I could have taken them.  I coulda been a contenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment