DIANTHUS

Dianthus is our Canadian Sailcraft 36 sailboat (Merlin version) we purchased in December 2011.



Monday, October 14, 2013

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Sometimes I REALLY hate racing.  And I really hate going sailing and having a frustrating experience.  In fact it's been almost three weeks now and I'm just getting around to posting what happened the last time out.

So, between foul weather, the cruise on the Bay and life in general I had missed a couple of Wed night races.  Took 2nd in one, got a bullet in the other.  I knew a bunch of other NonSpin boats were missing races and being the competitive person I am I wanted to do well and win the fall series.  (and the $10,000,000 first prize that goes with it!)
So on a light air night me and two of my lady crew started.  The wind was about 6-7 knots at the start. Maybe.  And dropping.  Within about 20 min. the Race Committe announced they were shortening the course.  Right after that the only other N/S boat dropped out.  I was bound and determined to finish the course because then we'd get credit for the race, plus I was letting Lori helm for the race and she was all excited.
We finally get around the windward mark and are making slow (very slow), but steady progress downwind.  All the spin boats pass us, it's dark but moving as we are we'll make the time limit. 
And then we start slowing down.   1.1 knots.   1 knot.  0.9.    0.5.   Until we stop. Completely dead in the water.  0.0 Speed over Ground.  Not even moving w/ the current.  Or at least not enough to even register on the GPS.  We sit there, 50 yards from the pin end of the finish line staring at the buoy while the 2 hour time limit expires.   The RC even gave us a few extra minutes hoping we'd make it across.  Nope.
Two hours of racing and .... nada.

Well, not true.  Lori had a blast steering, Wendy enjoyed getting out on the water, we found out just how little wind it takes to move the boat and we saw THIS SUNSET.



Ayyy, they'll be another race... And I did find that I won the tie breaker to take the fall series so all is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment