DIANTHUS

Dianthus is our Canadian Sailcraft 36 sailboat (Merlin version) we purchased in December 2011.



Sunday, September 1, 2013

PROJECTS

Winter projects.  Well, the fact that it's the end of August and I'm just now posting this should tell you that I've either been A) REALLY busy  or B) really lazy  or C) both.  Actually, now it's already September but I started this post in August.  See, I told you I was busy!

So when DIANTHUS was built it wasn't a problem to have a thru hull that threads onto a ball valve.  However that does not meet ABYC  standards and I really didn't feel comfortable w/ this arrangement so I removed the three in the V-Berth and replaced them w/ brand new GROCO thru hulls and ball valves mounted on a G10 fiberglass disc I epoxied into place to spread the load.  Looks like THIS:

Now I'm in the process of putting in a holding tank to replace the bladder the boat came with.


And to make it easier to access the sink drain seacock and offshore flush valve I cut an access door that I am in the process of trimming out and putting a door on.



Meanwhile I bought new VPC halyards and spliced them myself.  
Did the same on some spin sheets too. Like so:




The yard put on a MISEA Led Tricolor/anchor light which will use a lot less battery power and is wayyyy more visible.  I also had them wire up the engine hour meter I installed as well as the battery monitor.  When you only have 190 Ah's of juice you need to keep an eye on how much you use!


Come spring time Carol and I compounded and waxed the hull one nice April Saturday.



Life wasn't all work and no play.  We did find time to go to Rob Floyd's Annual Sock Burning Party which takes place around the Vernal Equinox.

This is a particularly "Annapolis" like tradition.  Time to burn those smelly socks you were forced to wear all winter b/c it was COLD and now that spring has sprung you can go back to being sockless.
Of course some of us always wear socks.  Just the way I am.













No comments:

Post a Comment