DIANTHUS

Dianthus is our Canadian Sailcraft 36 sailboat (Merlin version) we purchased in December 2011.



Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Taking stuff apart on a boat. PART I

Nothing on a boat is easy.  You might think it is and it may even appear to be straightforward but that is just anti-karma setting the hook in you.  Take my deck organizers for instance.  A wire to rope halyard had worn one of the sheaves out and several others were worn and had the edges broken.  Okay, so I call up my new favorite marine supply company, Holland Marine Parts in Ontario, CAN  and order some sheaves. Or so I thought.  They were out of stock; didn't know when they would get some.  Okay, back to more important issues.   (see the post below about my transducer leak)  A few weeks went by and not having anything important to do while on a break at work, I called again.  This time they found there were some in Canada (eh!) and I ordered 12 of them.

Cool.  So last week I decided to go ahead and swap the sheaves on the forward organizers.  Easy, right?  WRONG. Oh, the bolts came out pretty easily enough. But then I realized that they were through bolted and the nuts/washers were up in the headliner, not bolted into a tapped plate set in the cabin top.  So let's take the headliner down.  Oh, but first we have to remove the teak trip around the small hatches in the main cabin.  The finish on them was pretty worn so at least I can either refinish them or replace completely.  Of course the center of the headliner is underneath the trim around the companionway hatch; no WAY am I taking that down.  So, after enlisting my buddy Ron to help w/ the job I carefully pulled down on the edge of the plywood liner and squeezed my arm in w/ a ratchet to fasten the washer and nut whilst Ron applied pressure to the screw from above.  Then came the fun of putting it all back together.  But at least I know how to do this and what is accessible from where.


No comments:

Post a Comment